Reducing Your Water Footprint
Preserving water by improving your production quality and optimising your costs
Only a very small proportion of the earth’s water is fresh water. Our constantly increasing consumption of this fresh water is therefore exhausting resources and inciting public authorities to give greater consideration to reducing the water footprint of regions and businesses.
Companies are therefore facing the technological challenges involved in measuring and lowering their water consumption and, in so doing, reducing their production costs. To obtain this virtuous circle, businesses must make the best choices in terms of production sites and processes, assess their supply chain’s water footprint as accurately as possible, and select the most suitable means of transport for their goods and services.
SUEZ helps you reduce your water footprint using its ISO 14046 compliant Waterlily® solution. Waterlily® enables you to assess your total water consumption (including that of your purchases), identify its footprint according to water sources and types of environmental impact, choose the best technology to reduce it and consider more water-efficient equipment and infrastructure.
Offering you support and providing an efficient solution to reduce your water footprint
Carry out comprehensive mapping of your company’s water flows to measure:
- Water consumed and polluted by your production processes
- Total quantity of water incorporated in your end products
- Water consumed for your company’s other requirements
- Breakdown of water footprint by type of impact on human health, ecosystems, resources
- Breakdown by type of source: direct (e.g. consumption during production) and indirect (e.g. water consumed to produce energy)
Assess your supply chain’s water footprint using the following data:
- raw materials used (production and transport)
- energy consumed
- external goods and services required for your production process
Waterlily® uses characterisation methods developed by some of the most prominent scientists and groups of scientists in the field of water footprint assessment.
Designing and selecting water-efficient infrastructure and technology
By using optimised lifecycle assessment, SUEZ can help you improve the eco-design of your infrastructure and equipment.
By enabling you to study different scenarios, the Waterlily® approach allows you to:
- Compare the performance of several different technologies for reducing water footprint
- Evaluate water footprint according to three different scenarios for treatment and use of treated water
- Get an expert’s diagnosis and suggestion of solutions to improve your performance and your water strategy
- Set ambitious, high-quality goals
Communicating on your commitments to protecting water resources
The Waterlily® method provides a single indicator that complies with the ISO 14046 standard for communicating reliably and precisely to your stakeholders on your commitments to reducing your water footprint.
Waterlily® was selected by the ISO TR 14073 Technical Report as an illustrative example of how to apply the ISO 14046 standard. The ISO 14046:2014 Environmental management -- Water footprint -- Principles, requirements and guidelines standard provides an international framework for water footprint assessment. It is based on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of water-related environmental impacts and takes into consideration the temporal and geographic specificities of each case.
The aim of this standard is three-fold:
- To encourage comprehensive mapping of water flows within the relevant scope, in order to optimise water management and improve water strategy
- To provide the technical means to assess environmental impacts related to water, with a view to identifying possible actions to reduce these impacts
- To provide scientifically reliable information, that can be used for environmental reporting and for communicating easily and effectively on water management policies.